Spawn a new project?

Hi,

the work I've done so far can be split into two parts:
1) gegl scripting - for the moment a ruby script that allows me to run
tests of gegl and some test cases.
2) visualisation tool - a java web project that is made for displaying
performance data.

1) should obviously be commited to the gegl project.
2) however, I believe should be a new open source project.

For the moment, I've named the visualisation tool PerfECT, for
Performance Evaluation and Control Tool.

I propose to create a new open source project at code.google.com using
a LGPL license.

Do you have any preferences as to which version control system I
should use? The google code hosting offers Mercurial and SVN. I'm
leaning towards using SVN on the server and git-svn on my laptop,
mainly because I already know both svn and git (well, git only a
little bit).

Regards,

Henrik