Re: Introduction to GEGL Buffers

I expect the following items from Øyvind's list to be tackled by Adam
Turcotte and Eric Daoust (both GSoC students which I
mentor). Consequently, if someone is planning to tackle these issues
in the foreseable future, please let everyone know.

Øyvind Kolås writes:

 > What follows is a blue-sky wishlist of features that should be possible
 > to add to the architecture making it and GEGL a powerful base.
 >
 > - Make the background/empty color configurable (by making the empty
 >   tile's contents configurable).
 > - Add abyss policies to be used by resamplers, allowing configuring the
 >   behavior of affine transforms and warping image operations.

I'm not making promises on the following (given that they are not part
of the original GSoC) but they are related to Adam and Eric GSoCs, but
it would make sense to have them have a look at the following (I may
give more programming help with the resampler parts to free them for
what's below):

 > - Detect when a tile is set to be a solid block of the background color,
 >   and make the tiled shared with the empty tile.
 > - Detect uniformly colored and perhaps other types of tiles and store
 >   them more compactly, perhaps even just compressing tile contents and
 >   share duplicate tiles detected through hashing of their compressed data.

Nicolas Robidoux
Universite Laurentienne