Re: GPU support

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Richard H. <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>Implementing multi-threading in GEGL is out of my scope and I'm not
>>even sure if it's in GEGL's scope.
>
> I understand that as your project's task is adding OpenGL support. In my
> opinion, multi-CPU support would be more important, but that is of course
> another big task/project.

GEGL has been designed to have an API that will allows using it
without concern of whether it internally is single threaded (like its
current incarnation), threaded, multi-process, multi-host or
multi-process with parallel tasks driving GeglProcessors for different
subregions, or perhaps even with the workload divided in a stream
processing like manner.

>> GEGL is pretty low-level and
>>threading can be implemented on top of GEGL by the relevant client
>>(i.e. GIMP).

Nope,. see above.

>> My work will be concerned with accelerating pixel-level operations by
>>parallelizing each pixel operation in the GPU.  The key in my work is
>>that all pixel operations should (theoretically) work in parallel.
>
> That would indeed be very nice to have.

A GPU based backend should be possible to integrate with some of the
above outlined possible approaches of dividing labour, ideally it
would be possible to use GEGL and let GEGL itself figured out how to
best make use computational resources available.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/