Re: Gegl questions

On Dec 12, 2007 7:50 AM, Patrik Östman <pa.ostman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - The main idea of gegl is that you can build up graphs of nodes and that
> you decide when to process the graph. You are also able to specify a region,
> scale and output format. To get the best performance I guess that cropping
> and scaling is done early in the process stage. Correct? And is this true
> for all operations? Cropping should not be a problem but can imagine that
> scaling may cause problems for operations like filters there you have to
> adapt the filter to get the same effect as for a none scaled image.

By requesting a subregion to be rendered, the minimal required regions
to be computed for every node is first computed in a first pass
(expanding as needed for context for blurs, and restricted by crop
operations present in the graph.) Moving scaling to be performed as
early as possible is something that has been considered but currently
is not done since it would be in conflict with the per-node caches.

> - If a graph is processed and an operation is added to the graph I guess
> that when reprocessing the graph the cache of the previous rendering is
> used. This means that only the new operation is processed. But what if you
> have rendered the graph using different scales and regions, do you have
> separate caches for different render options?

As mentioned there is only a single cache, but the buffers these
caches are built on have built in capabilities for mipmap scaling.
These things are not mentioned in detail on the webpage because
they are things that might change for the better in the future
independently of the public API.

Another key element you didn't touch upon is parallellization of the
processing which is also related to such future internal developments,
please examine the GEGL bugzilla for some information on
ideas in this regard.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/