Re: Curve - First iteration

On 5/17/07, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The color mixer in gimp doesn't make sure they add up to 1.0 but makes
> sure the output range is 0.0-1.0. But it might be that one requires
> pre-normalized data for this to work correctly.

That would be auto-level functionality which I'm not sure I want to
put into this operation.  Not sure whether it's the right place to do
levels at all, actually.  I think they should come in a separate step
if you need them.

> To provide full control over such a global color to gray scale mapping
> is the ability to
> position a grey axis within the RGB cube that the colors a projected
> upon. To specify this
> you would either need 6 values. Without having 6 values to do it, you
> will need additional
> levels adjustment to get the resulting values in the 0.0-1.0 range.

Why 6?  I count 3 for the direction plus 2 for the black- and white-points.

> It is possible to find the
> optimal orientation of this grey axis, making sure that the
> distribution of the resulting histogram has the best possible spread
> (not necessarily optimal esthetically, but optimal in
> getting the most amount of detail out of an image).

Can you give a reference?

> regression tested against the RGBA version). Exactly how this will be
> implemented is still unclear since there are further pending changes
> in the core of how GEGL does it's processing and what is demanded of
> operations.

So at the moment I'll have to live with RGBA operations?  Shouldn't
the contrast curve be RGBA as well, then?

Btw: The file operations/workshop/envelope.h includes a file vector.h
which is not in SVN.

bye
Mark

--