Re: New to GEGL, and HSL plugin

On 2/5/07, Loo Barry wrote:
> HSL/HSB has many unsung uses in masking/selections; plus, it/they
> allow(s) more oppurtunities for creative channel operations.  It's
> sorely missed in newer versions of photoshop and the lack of a HS_ color
> space is the reason why many of us are forced to use 20th century
> software.

The color space I propose to use CIE Luv, is also what you would
consider a "HS_" color space, except for that fact that it is more
perceptually uniform and better engineered. CIE Luv > HSL > HSV. CIE
Luv is like CIE Lab, except that instead of having an opponent color
model like CIE Lab/Y'CbCr it provides a hue angle and a saturation
like HS_.

I'm arguing that I do not want HSV in the base distribution of babl, I
probably do not want HSL either but I can agree to put CIE Luv in
there. If GIMP will have a need to support it's confusing HSV legacy
it will probably have to do so by providing it's own babl extensions
to do so that do not live in the babl tree, as well as it's own GEGL
plug-in operations that do not live in the GEGL tree.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/