Re: Re: DAGs make users' eyes cross

On 10/23/06, Shea McCombs <shea241@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had played around with DAG usability and layout before, and I'm pretty
sure there is no better way to represent the data while retaining the same
flexibility.  I did come up with a somewhat good compromise though, which I
haven't implemented but I think would work for many DAG topologies.  Here's
an illustration showing a standard DAG layout, and a 'block' layout of the
same graph below it:

http://upvector.com/aux/misc/dagvis_block.png

I'm pretty sure there are a few cases where this would not work, but I am
thinking of implementing it for usability testing.  What do you guys think?
Easier or worse?  (I know, I don't like the black dots either ...)

I do not quite see how user interaction with this block graph would
be, one of the main issues I have with free form graph editing
interfaces is that the need to continously rearrange the graph easily
takes a lot of time for the user. A solution I have experimented with
was to use automatic graph layouting for that, thus making the only
thing the user really had to be concerned with be the connections
between the nodes. That seemed to work reasonably well, but for most
common I think the workflow will be more streamlined with the tree
w/clones approach allowing editable graphs to be embedded as some of
the filters in the tree.

/Øyvind K.
                                                -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/