would like to help

Hi all.

I am a happy free software user, and a developper in my daily job, but
until now, I never contributed anything back to the comunity. While I am
happy about most things in the GNOME/GNU/linux world, there are still a
few things which I'd like to see improved. But instead of just waiting
for nice people out there to do the things I want, I figured out I might
as well try to help.

I'd really like a gegl-powered gimp, and I believe gegl can be usefull
even outside the context of the gimp. As the home page of gegl's website
kindly invites anyone intrested to join, I think this may be a fine
place to start contributing to the Great World of Free Software :)

In a few lines, here is a summary of my software related skills. Not all
will be relevant to GEGL, but here they are anyway.

* confortable in:
  - imperative programming and object programming
  - the "common" languages (C, C++, Java)
* some (small) experience in:
  - image processing
  - i18n (specificaly: issues related to japanese text hanlding and
    typography)
  - programming in constrained environements (embeded)
* knowledge (but limited experience) in:
  - functional programming, and related languages (lisp, ocaml)
  - multithread programs
  - distributed programs
  - OS theory (kernel stuff)
  - compiler desing
* Good knowledge from a user (non-developer) point of view in:
  - Image processing ( photo edition )
  - GNU/Linux (favorite D.E.: Gnome, favorite distro: gentoo)

Unfortunately, I must admit I have no experience in hacking software in
the GNU / linux / GNOME / ... world, and therefore know close to nothing
(beside mere existance) when it comes to many common things like:
  - Glib / ... / name-your-favorite-free-lib-here
  - auto-tools
  - gettext

Do you think I might be of some help around here? I will certainly
require a bit of hand-holding in the begining, but I believe I am a
reasonably fast learner, so hopefully I won't be a burden for too
long ;)

Florian RIVOAL