Re: [Gegl-developer] Path to the GIMP

Hi,

Daniel Rogers <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1. Eliminating TileManager and GimpDrawable and replacing it with
> GeglBufferedImage.  (GeglBufferedImage will be the name of the concrete
> GeglImage subclass that just stores its Tiles in a GeglBuffer (as
> opposed to fetching them from an op)).  GimpDrawable is the thing
> closest in concept to a GeglImage, atm.

You can hardly replace GimpDrawable with a GEGL type since it is
itself derived from a GIMP type and it wouldn't make sense to change
that. Please forget about introducing GEGL types into the GIMP object
hierarchy. This simply won't work. All you can do is to make
GimpDrawable keep a pointer to a GeglImage just like it has a pointer
to a TileManager right now.

> 3. Modifing GimpImage to GeglImage.  Currently, GimpImage is more
> akin to a stack of GeglImages.  This change shouldn't be too hard
> (at first), from what I can tell.  Mostly, the stuff that changes
> will be the things that use a GimpImage to get the TileManagers and
> GimpDrawables, and those will need to change to to acomodate (1)
> anyway.  Anywhoo, the GimpImage, at this point, will do same thing,
> just keep a few pieces of data in a difference place.

The same comment applies here. A GimpImage is a lot more than stacks
of layers and channels. It has an awful lot of GIMP specific
properties that you certainly don't want to add to GEGL. You shouldn't
attempt to replace it in anyway.

Sven