[Gegl-developer] Re: checked in for your work

Calvin Williamson wrote:

All good. Just one comment. Dont you want to do a GeglBufferFloat, not double? I see that we will pass individual colors, opacities, and other scalar parameters as doubles (gimp does this already), but I dont think we need image data using doubles for now, at least. Gimp will likely use an 8bit, some kind of 16bit format (I would
do some kind of a half-float), and float image in the foreseeable
future.
Well, the idea is that buffers are trivial to add. And yes, I imagine the Gimp will use floats instead of doubles, but I think that the api's should accept doubles, since there is no real reason not to. (Double math is as fast as float math on most (all?) major platforms (SPARC, x86, ppc)). GeglBufferDouble is the easiest to write, because of this. (gegl buffer float is exactly the same, except with a typecast before storing the elements).