[Gegl-developer] updates from gimpcon

Hello Gegl-ers:

Just to bring things up to date with some of the ideas
and plans for gegl that were discussed at gimpcon.
There were discussions both on gegl internals as well
as what is needed to integrate gegl with gimp.

Ill give a short summary of the discussions about
gegl internals that were covered separate from the
more general discussions about gimp and gegl that
will be in some of the meeting notes from the camp.

On the internal side, Dan Rogers, Pippin and I
talked about some of the following issues:

* images, colormodels, colorspaces, data buffers,
samplemodels:

More work is needed on all of these areas as the current
versions were just put in to allow work on the graph and
node related code to proceed.

Dan is going to start experimenting with classes related
to the some of the above (modeled somewhat on java2d ideas)
to see if he can provide some GObject versions of the above that
will be general enough to cover all of the things we want.

* stand-in ops of each kind, till we move a little bit
further.

We should actually remove most of the current ops till
some of the above mentioned work progresses a little further,
to keep from redoing the ops processing routines again and
again while the code for actually getting pointers out of
image data via samplemodels and/or iterators churns as a result
of the above development. At the same time we need to
provide an example of all the op types we expect we will need
to handle (We need examples of area ops, geometric ops, statistics,
etc beyond the point ops that are currently in gegl)

* file i/o, display testing

Get some actual file io happening so that more elaborate testing
can be done. Pippin may be looking into getting some of this
going, and possibly bringing over some code from his Bauxite project
(Check http://phpweb.hig.no/~oey_kola/bauxite, it is a nice sleek,
non-gobject straight C version of most things we need in gegl).

* properties, serialization of graphs

Leverage from Sven and Mitch's work in gimp for serializing
GObjects so that we have a way to do this for regular Gegl
objects and can use it for testing large graphs, and experimenting
with graph file formats and so forth. This may not become
part of core gegl, but might be provided as part of
sample code and used in unit tests and so on.

* auto-generated uis for properties of nodes, ops

Again using some of the code from gimp that already
does this and adapting it for use in samples and
for testing/building gegl nodes.

Anyone who wants to fill in more of the above, please do...

Probably some other things I am forgetting since I am still
jet-lagged...

Calvin