Re: [Gegl-developer] a hard decsion

Calvin Williamson wrote:
Gegl is a work in progress. If something needs to be done, let's figure
out how to do it and how to refactor what we have to achieve that. This
is in the spirit of test-driven software design. Refactor what
you have, write lots of unit tests and keep them working at 100%.
Strive to do "simplest possible thing that could work" at each stage. If your tests are strong, you will be able to re-factor and improve your design without breaking things. Im a big fan of that part of XP programming.
Calvin

Alright. I favor (but not strongly) restarting. You seem pretty firm in the other direction. I see advantages either way. I have to admit, I have kinda let this whole XP programming thing slip by me. (I was seeing if it would be easy to push you over to my side. I don't want to fight the issue.)

I have always favored a lot of designing, then a lot of coding rather than code, design, code, design etc. It always seems like a lot of work rewriting the same part over and over.

I do think that file io and tiling should be made a priority, as those things turn gegl from a concept to a tool.

Also, it would be good for me to write up some specifics of the design we are working on for the webpage. Mostly just collecting the stuff on this list, and describing what things need to be explored. I think it will help to encourage hacking gegl.

I hope you don't mind that I haven't done a lot of coding. I am still in "getting my bearings" mode, so ideas are flying around my head that I want to get out before I lose them.

--
Dan