Re: Hard links created when installing gcc

> Most filesystems do not allow hard links to directories, so you can't
have cycles

Oh my God, I knew I was missing something obvious. I feel like such a
doofus.

> > It also seems
> > bad to create hard links like that,

> Why?

I was taught that hard links should generally be avoided unless performance
demands because of the subtleties around modifying, copying, and moving
hard linked files.

In light of the replies I've gotten here, it doesn't seem like it can cause
any trouble to use a hard link in this instance. It didn't trip up any of
the package managers I've been looking at, for example.

That's why I asked though. I appreciate you all taking the time to correct
my misconceptions.