Re: Hard links created when installing gcc

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking
for.

In my experience I only rarely interact with hard links. GCC is a
project I hold in very high regard, so I was curious to see if there
was a strong reason to use one or the other.

> Hard links are faster.  Hard links are more efficient.
I figure that dereferencing a symbolic link (at least to a file on the
same physical disk) will be orders of magnitude faster than almost
anything you'd want to do with g++ once you find the inode.

If you have a filesystem hierarchy with no links or bind mounts, then it
forms a tree (rigorously, in graph theory terminology), which allows you
to make certain assumptions during traversal. Symbolic links are clearly
distinguished from ordinary files, so we can add those and still do fast
traversal. To the best of my understanding, hard links on the other hand
require us to keep track of all inodes with link count >1, so we can
detect cycles. I'm still admittedly in the very early stages of this
line of inquiry, but I believe it could have applications in functional
package managers like Guix and Nix. I have some ideas for fast traversal
with hard links, but it would be easier without.

> If you want to have GCC optionally use symbolic links here, implement
> that, and send a patch?
This is a great idea. It would be perfect for my purposes.

Thank again,
Jack