Compiling modules: understanding filename conventions

Hi all,

I think, I have some misconceptions about compiling modules :-(

Say, I have a module interface unit modA.hxx and a module implementation unit modA.cxx for module A. If I compile modA.hxx I get the bmi in gcm.cache and a file modA.o. I need the bmi to compile the modA.cxx, but this overrides modA.o. This does not harm, since modA.o from modA.hxx looks more or less empty. Linking with the (overridden) file modA.o does work.

If I compile modA.hxx to modA_h.o and modA.cxx to modA_i.o and use these two files for linking, it works as well. And if I only use modA_i.o, it also works.

So, what is the intent to compile a module interface unit also to a .o file? In my understanding it should only generate a bmi file.

Additionally, if I have some modules in different directories but with same file-names, the files in gcm.cache resemble that directory structure, but the .o files are overridden.

Looks like I do not understand haw to compile modules....

Thanks in advance,
 Wilhelm