Re: Configuring GCC 10.3 on PPC Mac OS X 10.4.11/Tiger for build reveals flaws in configure scripts

> Am 25.11.2022 um 16:56 schrieb Segher Boessenkool <segher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Also, GCC 10.4 was released over a month ago, please use that?
> Any problem in previous minor releases might already be fixed

I can try. I was asked to try to build the MacPorts package, or "port", gcc10-bootstrap to help solve another problem on PPC Tiger/Mac OS X 10.4.11 I've seen that GCC 10.4 was out and I now know that MacPorts supports this version too:

	gcc10                          @10.4.0         lang/gcc10
	libgcc10                       @10.4.0         lang/gcc10
	gcc10-libcxx                   @10.4.0         lang/gcc10
	gcc10-bootstrap                @10.3.0         lang/gcc10-bootstrap

They have dependencies:

	Full Name: gcc10 @10.4.0_4+stdlib_flag
	Extract Dependencies: xz
	Build Dependencies:   texinfo
	Library Dependencies: cctools, gmp, isl, ld64, libiconv, libmpc, mpfr, zlib, zstd
	Runtime Dependencies: gcc_select, libgcc10, gcc10-libcxx
	--
	Full Name: libgcc10 @10.4.0_4+stdlib_flag
	Extract Dependencies: xz

The only port that I might be able to build is "libgcc10" which has a dependency of "libgcc11", and this a dependency to "libgcc":

	Full Name: gcc11 @11.3.0_5+stdlib_flag
	Extract Dependencies: xz
	Build Dependencies:   texinfo
	Library Dependencies: cctools, gmp, isl, ld64, libiconv, libmpc, mpfr, zlib, zstd
	Runtime Dependencies: gcc_select, libgcc11, gcc11-libcxx
	--
	Full Name: libgcc11 @11.3.0_5+stdlib_flag
	Full Name: gcc11-libcxx @11.3.0_6+clang14
	Extract Dependencies:
	Build Dependencies:   clang-14
	Library Dependencies:
	Runtime Dependencies:
	--
	Full Name: libgcc @6.0_0
	Library Dependencies: libgcc12

I do not understand this scheme, honestly! Very old software, that depends on software that will be created in some future? But – "libgcc12" is very easy to build:

	Full Name: libgcc12 @12.2.0_2+stdlib_flag
	Extract Dependencies: xz
	Build Dependencies:   texinfo, cctools, gmp, isl, ld64, libmpc, mpfr, zstd
	Library Dependencies: zlib, libiconv
	Runtime Dependencies:

Next month, if my internal disk will find enough empty space (remember: my PowerBook G4 is almost 20 years old, and then a 100 GB disk was no usual gadget, not even in a Mac). (It might be possible to create "private" versions on an external disk.) Before I have to find the cause why a particular port, boost, uses '-Wl,-rpath ...' which cannot work on Tiger. (It's OK with later OS versions.) It works, with other ports, when '-Wl,' is not there, because then it's a no-op or gets neglected.

Manual builds will take longer. Because they might needed patches *I* would have to provide – you've the seen the list I gave Jonathan?

--
Greetings

  Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson