Re: gcc update help please

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 20:19, jm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have installed the stand alone CodeBlocks 17.12 .
>
> It came with mingw32-gcc-5.1.0.exe .

That's ancient.

> I am having some difficulty compiling commands like std::codecvt_utf8
> and others.

GCC 5.1 does have the std::codecvt_utf8, so I assume you're not using
the -std=c++11 option.

> I have looked at the page
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/locale/codecvt_utf8 and they have a
> list of compilers that work with their code.
>
> I tried some of the gcc versions and found that GCC 5.2 (C++11) works OK
> with it.

No it doesn't, the std::codecvt_utf8 in GCC 5.2 is identical to the
one in GCC 5.1 and it doesn't handle UCS2 correctly (see
https://gcc.gnu.org/PR79980 for details).

The oldest versions to compile that code correctly are GCC 5.5 or
anything >= 6.4

> Therefore, my question for you is:
>
> Where do I get a GCC 5.2 (C++11) download from you guys?

You don't, sorry. The GCC project does not provide precompiled binaries.
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

I suggest you try to get a newer version of the mingw port of GCC,
which you can get from the mingw project. You might want to try
something other than CodeBlocks.

> Or maybe if GCC 5.5 would work for my computer. Maybe?

It should do.