Re: gcc <--> binutils versions

Hope I am not hijacking my own thread that much; after all, the word
"versions" is in the title.

I don't agree that version numbers should be meaningless.

Semantic Versioning is not meaningless and it is very well spelled out what
is meant by it.  Refer to https://semver.org/

For the in-house programs that I manage, I use Semantic Versioning which
provides me with real life benefits, for example, dependency compatibility
and long term support.

For example, let's say:

   - program B V4.2.1 is the latest production version at the time program
   A is written
   - program A depends on B to do some processing; to that end, A knows how
   to put together the input for B and knows how to read its output, too

What I do in the launcher for A is to specify that it requires B V4.x;
meaning, it should pick up the greatest version 4 available.  In this way,
program A benefits from any bug fixes done on B and released in, say,
V4.2.2, V4.2.3, etc. ; or even from backwards compatible enhancements in B
released in versions V4.3.x, V4.4.x, etc.

When program B V5.0.0 is released, program A knows not to use it since it
is not backwards compatible; and, so, program A does not break and
continues to work just fine.

Of course, this requires that a program release does not over-write the
previous version so that one ends up with just one version (the leates)
deployed; instead, I must keep all version out there, or at least the
latest from every major release.

Those are my 2 cents.
Germán