Re: gcc <--> binutils versions

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 02:31:44PM -0700, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 7:59 AM Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-help <
> gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 at 14:32, German Salazar wrote:
> > > I am about to install gcc 10.3.0
> > > *Question: which version of binutils should I use?*
> > > I can't seem to find a hint about that, anywhere.
> >
> > It doesn't matter, anything made in the last ten years will work fine.
> > Generally, the newer the better, because GCC can take advantage of the
> > newer features. But it will still work without them.
>
> For a stable well supported target like x86 this may be true, but for a lot
> of embedded targets this won't work.
>
> My advice would be to use the binutils version that was released right
> before the gcc version was released.  Gcc-10.1 was released May 7, 2020.
> So you should try using the binutils-2.34 release which was released Feb 1,
> 2020.

That version will give you the best chance that everything works, yes.
But since 10.3 was released less than three months ago, current binutils
trunk should work fine as well.  In general using the most recent of
everything will work.  There is no strict ordering requirement :-)

But, as you say, if you are building an elderly compiler, it tends to
work better to not use a binutils that is (much) newer.

For native compilers (as opposed to cross-compilers), you can expect
using the binutils that comes with some major OS to work as well --
simply because that will have been tested!  Using a random older
binutils has a lower chance of working correctly, and what is the point
anyway?

Segher