Removing unused code/variables

We are using NXP's MCUXpresso to target ARM, and it uses gcc.  We have a large project with several different configurations.  The underlying library code gets compiled into libs and linked into the main application, and the main application has all the switches to enable or disable features.  Despite using -Os, many chunks of code are still present, as are static variables, even though they never get used.  We have tried turning on link time optimization, but it appears to have no effect.  Some static variables are optimized away, but many remain.  We have even tried making them part of their own section and using different linker directives that don't have that section specified, but they get linked in anyway.

Short of changing the project to one large project that excludes certain source files that aren't needed, is there a nice way to remove them?