Re: ostream operator<< for volatile void *

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, NightStrike via Gcc-help wrote:

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 2:59 AM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, 02:43 NightStrike via Gcc-help, <gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Currently, printing a "void *" works fine, and printing a "volatile
void *" fails with a very unclear error.  This appears to be due to
the nonexistence of a function that can handle a volatile pointer.
While I am guessing that it is not covered by the standard, would GCC
folks consider having a GCC extension that can properly print it?

No, I don't think so. Can't you just use const_cast?

Yes, and I can also just write the overload myself (which is what I
ultimately did) as:

inline std::ostream & operator<<(std::ostream & os, void const volatile * p) {
       return os << const_cast<void const *>(p);
}

But, I find it surprising as a user that I have to do this, and I
don't understand the rationale for why the standard would
intentionally leave it out.

You could try proposing the extra overload(s) on https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/std-proposals (or maybe as a replacement for the void const* one?), this is much less formal than sending a paper to the C++ committee and could get some quick feedback. Or of course you can directly write a paper for WG21...

Nowadays, gcc tries to minimize new non-standard extensions, so the way in is through the standard.

--
Marc Glisse