Re: Installed Gcc 4.94. Does I really need it or Glic is enough?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 23:29, alexandre schenberg via Gcc-help
<gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello. I have been trying to run a program that requires Glic 2.12. I compiled version 2.17.

Why do you need to compile your own Glibc? How old is your system that
it doesn't have at least Glibc 2.12?

> Then I try to run the executable with: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Glibc-2.17-32bit/lib ./name_of_the_program.
> It ends with a Segmentation fault.

That's not surprising. I think you need to link the program to use the
new loader, not just try to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I would expect you to need to link with flags something like:

-Wl,-rpath=$PREFIX/lib -Wl,--dynamic-linker=$PREFIX/lib/ld-2.17.so

where PREFIX=/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Glibc-2.17-32bit/
and ld-2.17.so is the right name for the loader in that path.

> Then I had the idea of compiling gcc instead, imagining that the source of the seg fault was some incompatibility between the system libstdc++ or some other system's lib with some of the libs that belongs to Glibc2.17. Then I looked for Glic and saw that it does not belong to the gcc package.
> So now I don't know what to do. I don't know if the gcc version has somehow to match the Glibc used,

No.

>or even if compiling a newer Gcc than the one I have is of any use.

It's probably not necessary.

>Or if there is a way to identify the cause of the seg fault and rectify it.

Can't you just use a newer OS?

Glibc 2.12 is very old now, so if you currently have something even
older then you are running an ancient and unsupported OS.