Re: New in gcc compiler develment

Am 16.01.20 um 10:36 schrieb Henri Cloetens:
Hello all,

I am starting to work on GCC backend development. I have some issues right now,
if any of you could help me on that.

1. I managed to compile my backend, and run a simple program through it. However,
    - It is using a frame pointer. (It does not eliminate it.)

Maybe some elimination rules missing?

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Elimination.html

   - Arguments of functions are declared in registers, but at the start of the subroutine,
      it puts the arguments on the stack.

You compiled with optimization turned on? Or taking addresses of parameters? We can only guess here.

   - I think it is related with DWARF2 debug format, I tried to disable it, but could not find it.

2. Is there a way to get verbose messages out of the compiler, to help during debug ?.

You can -fdump-rtl-all (or -da) and check if stuff is expanded and transformed as expected during the RTL passes. There are more fine grained add additional flags apart from -all

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Developer-Options.html

Johann

3. Is there some manual/description on how to run the compiler verification suites ?.

Best Regards,

Henri.