Re: Non-optimal code generated for H8

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 09:10:34AM +0100, David Brown wrote:
> I think there is a general attitude of "I'm compiling for a small
> microcontroller with only 32 KB flash - so I must use flags to make the
> code as small as possible".  In fact, if you have 32 KB flash then you
> need to make your code at most 32 KB in size - code of 31 KB is just as
> good as code of 17 KB.  As long as your code fits, any further reduction
> in size is unnecessary.

Yeah, unless you're already at 31kB and now have to add a feature :-)

> I haven't reported any "-O2 smaller than -Os" bugs, as far as I can
> remember, but have merely noted it as a pattern that I see sometimes.  I
> will try to keep an eye out for when I see it again.

Thanks!

> Do you have any reference for the heuristic parameters set by -Os ?  (I
> am perfectly happy with "it's in this file in the gcc source code", if
> that is the answer.)

It's not just parameters, it's all over the code:

$ grep optimize_[a-z]*_for_ *.c | wc -l
219

$ grep -l optimize_[a-z]*_for_ *.c | wc -l
66

(and that does not include the target code -- there are about 300 more in
all targets combined).

Segher