Re: regarding df_regs_ever_live_p

On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 12:35:49PM -0500, William Tambe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM Jeff Law <law@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So the first question I would ask is whether or not your static chain is
> > a call clobbered register is not.  If not, why -- most ports have a call
> > clobbered static chain.

Can a non-volatile (i.e. caller saved) static chain reg work at all?  With
current GCC, at least?

> My static chain register is not marked in CALL_USED_REGISTERS , which
> I assume mean, it is not call clobbered.
> My preference would be to have it call clobbered so I wouldn't need to
> do anything special.

So define it as a call-clobbered (i.e. volatile) register?  Most ABIs don't
define what register to use for the static chain; many ABIs don't even
define anything for passing an environment pointer.  The static chain is
pretty much a GCC implementation detail, and you can pick anything you want,
if it works with the ABI you have.

Segher