Re: sysroot issue when cross-compiling a native compiler (gcc 7.3.0)

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 11:10 AM Stefan Ring <stefanrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:09 AM Stefan Ring <stefanrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It thought, I'd retry the same procedure with gcc 8.2.0 today. This
> target header issue is indeed gone -- the build just works. Alas, the
> resulting compiler does not :(.
>
> $ ~/gcc8/bin/g++ -x c++ x.c
> during IPA pass: inline
> x.c:13:1: internal compiler error: in inline_small_functions, at
> ipa-inline.c:1865
>  }

This is only partially the compiler's fault. I noticed that it worked
fine on an arm64 machine chrooted into the armv5 environment and
remembered that /proc/cpu/alignment (used to?) default to 0 on Fedora
ARM, causing misaligned accesses to produce garbage. It works after
activating mis-alignment fixup (setting the value to 2). But this
means that gcc version 8 has introduced some unaligned accesses
lurking somewhere in its code.