Re: powerpc: avoiding lfd/stfd for 64 bit integer load/stores

On 11/21/18 7:13 AM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> There is no such switch.  Implementing such a switch would be hard; for
> example, the convert-float-to-integer instructions need to store an integer
> in a floating point register.
>
> Compiling translation units with different needs, with different flags, is
> the way to go.  -msoft-float means "do not use the FPRs".

I agree with Segher here.  I'll note though that -msoft-float and -mhard-float
are different ABIs.  However, if you don't call a function across the soft-float
to hard-float barrier that has floating point arguments or floating point
return value, you should be fine.

Peter