Re: the mystery of math.h in lib/gcc/%triple-name%/%gcc-version%/include-fixed

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 17:16, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> On 10/24/2018 11:23 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > What's not clear from your email is whether you built those versions
> > of GCC on the host machines where you're testing them (and if so,
> > whether it was before or after installing patch 119966-02) or whether
> > you built them on one machine and then copied them to the other hosts.
> >

> Thank you Jonathan.  This had me up late last night looking over three
> different builds of gcc that go back at least two years.  Clearly two
> years.  A few machines have those dastdardly libm patches and other
> machines do not.  The gcc builds that were wonderfully bootstrapped on
> systems without that libm patches are of course borked on any system
> that has them. I suspect the reverse is also true.

Then that's the cause of the problem.

> However the 7.3.0 has math.h in the include-fixed and that doesn't matter:
>
> /usr/local/gcc7/lib/gcc/sparc64-sun-solaris2.10/7.3.0/include-fixed/math.h

Because what matters is not whether that file is present or not, but
whether what gets included by <math.h> on the host machine *now*
matches what got included by <math.h> on the build machine *then*. It
doesn't matter whether what gets included is /usr/include/math.h or
GCC's include-fixed/math.h or something else, as long as it matches
what libstdc++ was configured against.