Re: Enable one ISA for my code, and another ISA for GCC code?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> GCC to gnerate code for On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 at 12:55, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>
>> I'm catching a SIGILL on POWER7 ppc64-le machine. I compiled the
>> source with -mcpu=power8 so I could enable some builtins I may need.
>> Use of the builtins is guarded at runtime. (This is the classic distro
>> model, where most source code is compiled for a minimum machine but
>
> You haven't compiled for a minimum machine, you've compiled for POWER8
> when your minimum is POWER7.

Right, that's the problem. To enable the built-in I need -mcpu=power8.
My code is guarded. (I've never really understood this requirement on
some platforms but not others).

But I don't want GCC using the cpu I'm writing for. GCC needs to use
POWER4 or so.

The problem seems to be GCC conflates what I want with what it can do.
They are two different things.

> Maybe you want to use the target attribute:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html

Thanks. Let me give it a try.

Jeff