Turning off case checking when linking

 To whom it may concern,
I'm using GNU to compile a mix of assembly and C code (old code managed by numerous people) but keep running into what should be an easy problem to resolve.  The assembly variables/subroutine calls are in upper case and C calls the same variables/subroutines but they are in lower case.  So when GNU attempts to link the code files together I get a lot of undefined reference messages.  So how do I configure GNU compiler/linker to ignore the case and just assume the variables/routines are the same if have the same name, regardless of case?  I've tried to use the "--ignore-case" option and GNU fails to recognize the command.
Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,Neil Frank(408) 464-5498