Re: Compiling GCC for different x86 CPU generation

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 at 11:49, U.Mutlu wrote:

> U.Mutlu wrote on 07/24/2018 12:40 PM:
> > There is this IMO important sentence in the gcc docs regarding --with-gmp etc:
> >
> > "These flags are applicable to the host platform only. When building a cross
> > compiler, they will not be used to configure target libraries."
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
>
> I would suggest to put symlinks under the source tree to the destinations,
> but under these basic names:
>    gmp
>    isl
>    mpc
>    mpfr
> and remove the corrosponding --with-xxx= from the configure.

Yes, you are making life unnecessarily complicated. There is no reason
you need to package GMP, MPFR, MPC and ISL as part of your GNU Octave
package. Just put the sources in the GCC tree and GCC will
automatically build them as  static libs and link to them.

That means you don't need the .dylib files for the support libs to be
packaged, and they are built with the same options as GCC so your
SIGILL problem would never have happened.

You probably don't need ISL at all, it's only an optional requirement
and the additional features it provides are of debatable value. But if
you build it in-tree then it doesn't add an extra run-time dependency,
so use it if you want. I would not bother with it if it meant
packaging another .dylib though.