Re: How to include "wide int" in code

colinb2 . wrote on 07/12/2018 02:52 AM:
On 7/11/18, U.Mutlu <um@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think these wide int routines make it possible to create 64bit targets
on 32bit hosts, ie. crosscompiling.

See a later reply by Martin Sebor: they also make it possible to
create 65bit to 128bit targets on 64bit hosts, and I suspect we could
create beyond 128bit targets.

Regarding make: it should work when touch'ing a source file.
I just tried it out with the ../gcc_src/gcc/expmed.c: yes, it behaves as
expected.

Maybe you did the build (configure and make) via a script,
but now calling make not from the same script: in this case
the environment can be different. One should avoid that;
better is doing the make in the same script as the configure,
in this case just disabling the configure step beforehand.

I just extracted GCC from the tar file, ran contrib prerequisites, and
then set up a standard make file, and just ran make, which worked
before, so I've no idea why it no longer works!

Do you mean the make file created by the configure script of gcc,
or do you mean a self-made makefile?

OTOH, maybe just your "hook" is causing some side effects leading to that
unexpected behavior? :-) I don't think so, but w/o seeing the modification
one can only guess.
If it's not much code, then you can post your hook here, I then can try
to compile it and tell you about the outcome.

That's most helpful; what I'm really interested in is some rough
benchmarks/timings, so I'll think about the best way to do that and
then, as you suggest, post the code here. It may be a day or two until
I manage to do that. What I'm suspecting is that using "wide int" even
just once might be slower than completely avoiding it. I posted
something on the main gcc mailing list on
Making GNU GCC choose_multiplier in expmed.c significantly faster
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2018-07/msg00159.html
but I haven't had any "bites" yet!

I couldn't figure out yet which hdcode (ie. that of the book) you refer
in the msg00159-link above (or have I maybe overlooked your reference?).
I don't have that book. Can you give the ref-link please if it's among
the codes published at the web site under http://hackersdelight.org/hdcode.htm