Re: How to include "wide int" in code

On 7/11/18, U.Mutlu <um@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think these wide int routines make it possible to create 64bit targets
> on 32bit hosts, ie. crosscompiling.

See a later reply by Martin Sebor: they also make it possible to
create 65bit to 128bit targets on 64bit hosts, and I suspect we could
create beyond 128bit targets.

> Regarding make: it should work when touch'ing a source file.
> I just tried it out with the ../gcc_src/gcc/expmed.c: yes, it behaves as
> expected.
>
> Maybe you did the build (configure and make) via a script,
> but now calling make not from the same script: in this case
> the environment can be different. One should avoid that;
> better is doing the make in the same script as the configure,
> in this case just disabling the configure step beforehand.

I just extracted GCC from the tar file, ran contrib prerequisites, and
then set up a standard make file, and just ran make, which worked
before, so I've no idea why it no longer works!

> OTOH, maybe just your "hook" is causing some side effects leading to that
> unexpected behavior? :-) I don't think so, but w/o seeing the modification
> one can only guess.
> If it's not much code, then you can post your hook here, I then can try
> to compile it and tell you about the outcome.

That's most helpful; what I'm really interested in is some rough
benchmarks/timings, so I'll think about the best way to do that and
then, as you suggest, post the code here. It may be a day or two until
I manage to do that. What I'm suspecting is that using "wide int" even
just once might be slower than completely avoiding it. I posted
something on the main gcc mailing list on
Making GNU GCC choose_multiplier in expmed.c significantly faster
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2018-07/msg00159.html
but I haven't had any "bites" yet!