Re: GCC 8 released but not successful ?

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 02:47:58PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> I know that the testsuite for Perl tends to kick out a few lines at the
> bottom that claim 99.8% passed or similar. The testsuite in gcc just
> dumps out numbers that may leave one to always ask "why would anyone
> trust this thing?"
>
>                 === g++ Summary ===
>
> # of expected passes            105237
> # of unexpected failures        105
> # of expected failures          395
> # of unsupported tests          4600
>
> So what is that ?  Good?  Disaster?   About 105 unexpected failures
> means C++ can not be trusted on this platform?  I am never too sure as
> there here never been a perfect result and there may never be.

It is probably good.  You have to look at the preceding text to be sure:
what tests failed?  Is that expected?

Ideally there would never be unexpected failures.  But for example many
guality tests have failed since forever; some tests are by nature quite
fragile, so those *tests* need (time-consuming) maintenance while the
compiler itself is fine; and for example some tests fail because some
*other* installed software is buggy (libc, gdb, as, etc.)

So there will often be a few testsuite failures.  Look at the actual
failing tests to see if this is bad.  You can also compare with published
results (on gcc-testresults@) to see if some failure is unique to your
situation.

Segher