Re: std::deque move constructor

On 19 August 2017 at 19:49, Avi Kivity wrote:

> On 08/19/2017 08:49 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>
>> On 19 August 2017 at 18:02, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed that std::deque's move constructor (gcc 7.1) is not noexcept.
>>> Is
>>> this conformant to the standard?
>>
>> Yes it's conforming, but it sucks.
>

> :(
>

>>> It's hard to imagine a reasonable deque
>>> implementation that can fail a move.
>>
>> We have one. Our implementation is never "empty" it always has a table
>> of pointers even if there are no elements. That means we need to
>> allocate a new table for the moved-from deque, and allocating can
>> throw.
>>
>> I don't think we can change this in an ABI compatible way.
>

> Oh, I assumed no one would do this and wrote a wrapper that just adds the
> noexcept, without even checking (a type that uses it requires noexcept
> moves).
>
> I guess it's unique_ptr time for me.

I proposed this ABI breaking change for the
--enable-symvers=gnu-versioned-namespace config and nobody replied:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2016-10/msg00017.html

This gets rid of the allocations in the move operations, allowing
"really empty" deques.

It also keeps a single deque node around for reuse, so that using a
deque as a FIFO with a "one in, one out" sequence doesn't keep
deallocating and reallocating.

I'm going to commit this for GCC 8. Longer term I also want to provide
some kind of adaptor so that e.g. __gnu_cxx::deque<T, A> would be an
alias for std::deque<T, __better_deque<A>> and would enable the
changes for the default --enable-symvers=gnu configuration.