Re: Optimization question

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology then or am possibly confused. I am under the impression that std::allocator points to std::new_allocator by default. In fact, in debugging with gdb, I've gotten into new_allocator.h. At any rate, in trying to contrive the smallest possible test program, I learned some new things that in my original pass, I mistook.

It turns out that std::vector seems to work fine with -O2 or without it.

std::ostringstream however does not call my new OR delete with no optimization. With -O2, it calls only my delete.

If I do not attempt to wrap malloc and free, I get the same result. std::vector calls my new and delete, ostringstream calls neither.

The command line I used to compile it is:
g++ -g -O2 --std=c++14 -Wl,-wrap,malloc -Wl,-wrap,free Test.c -o test.exe

Test.c:

#include <sstream>
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

extern "C" void *__real_malloc(size_t);
extern "C" void __real_free(void *);

extern "C" void *__wrap_malloc(size_t nbytes) {
    printf("wrap_malloc: %ld bytes\n", nbytes);
    void * foo = __real_malloc(nbytes);
    printf("wrap_malloc address: %ld\n", foo);
    return foo;
}

extern "C" void __wrap_free(void *ptr) {
    printf("wrap_free: %ld\n", ptr);
    __real_free(ptr);
}

void* operator new (std::size_t size) throw (std::bad_alloc) {
    printf("new: %ld bytes\n", size);
    void *p = __wrap_malloc(size);
    printf("new address: %ld\n", p);
    return p;
}

void operator delete (void *p) {
    printf("delete: %ld\n", p);
    __wrap_free(p);
}

void operator delete (void *p, std::size_t) {
    printf("delete with size: %ld\n", p);
    __wrap_free(p);
}

int main(int argc, char ** argv) {
   printf("Creating new vector\n\n");
   std::vector<int> foo;

   printf("pushing an element\n\n");
   foo.push_back(5);

   printf("Creating new ostringstream\n\n");
   std::ostringstream msg2;

   printf("pushing once\n\n");
   msg2 << "Blah blah blah ";

   printf("pushing twice\n\n");