Re: Problem with -m64 on Solaris 11

On 09/09/2016 05:37 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 8 September 2016 at 17:11, Sascha Frick wrote:
It seems that the -m64 option, which is necessary for compiling and
linking makes some problems when the assembler is
being started. Is there a way to prevent gcc from adding -m64 to the
assembly process?

If GCC is adding flags that don't work with the assembler then it
suggests to me that the assembler is not the same one that was present
when GCC was configured (GCC should know the right flags  to use).

He has a csw ( opencsw ) build and there is no promise that the right packages exist in the correct combination. What troubles me is that he
does not have the standard Sun as ( Oracle ) which comes along in the
very typical SUNWsprot :

tfsto # pkginfo -l SUNWsprot
   PKGINST:  SUNWsprot
      NAME:  Solaris Bundled tools
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  i386
   VERSION:  5.10,REV=2004.12.18
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      DESC:  Solaris Bundled tools
    PSTAMP:  mpk69k20150602165101
  INSTDATE:  Jul 02 2015 21:08
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:       68 installed pathnames
                   9 shared pathnames
                  13 directories
                  28 executables
                5034 blocks used (approx)

Did someone install GCC, and then later change the binutils that is
installed? When you say "live with what is there", how did they get
there?

Good question.

Looks like the wrong path to me.

Dennis