Minimun system configuration for GNU comiler collection installation

Hi, there:

I would like to know minimum system requirements needed to  install GNU compiler collection in my computer in order to
avoid problems with system configurations. Can the compiler collection be installed and run without any inconvenience in an
32 bits system type? May I use  a text editor other than geany? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Suzane de Alencar Chaves