recompiling between binary-compatible GCC versions

Hello,

In general, is it recommended to recompile when switching between binary-compatible GCC versions? I understand that, in specific situations, it will depend on many factors, but I am hoping to get a sense of what is recommended for most cases.

Specifically, what prompted me to ask this question is the presence of several *.la files in the installation directory trees of the GCC versions that I have built. Packages that use autotools to build pick up on these files and end up doing a few things that tie that package to the particular path of that installation (such as setting RPATH to that path). This makes changing out the version of GCC, e.g., from 5.2.0 to 5.3.0, problematic for those packages. Should trying to "reuse" a build of a package against more than one version of GCC be avoided?

Thanks,
David

--
David Shrader