ABI for C and C++ on x86

I've been looking for an authoritative statement about the default ABI that
GCC uses for C++ on x86. Two questions:

1) It's my understanding that GCC uses the Itanium C++ ABI, adapted for
32-bit architectures as suggested in its introduction, for C on x86. Is
this so?

2) Is this choice documented somewhere authoritative? I expected the
LSB to be the authority here, but it a) seems to be being abandoned
(Debian backed away from it this September), and b) only
cites the SysV i386 supplement, which predates C99 and things like bool.