Re: Optimisations and undefined behaviour

On 11/09/2015 02:16 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 03:08 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if this is a valid transformation for printf, even if
>>> targets stdout and does not use any custom format specifiers.  Isn't it
>>> a cancellation point?  But let's assume it's not.

>>> Can we disallow that optimization as a quality-of-implementation matter?
>>>  What would be the benefit of such optimizations, other than
>>> discouraging programmers from using C or C++?
>>
>> There isn't really any way to distinguish between wanted optimizations
>> and unwanted ones.
>
> Of course there is—you define the semantics you want, and then any
> optimization which breaks them is a bug.
>
>> If GCC determines that a statement is unreachable
>> it can be deleted, and this depends on its knowledge of UB.  Like this:
>>
>> void foo(int b) {
>>   if (b > 0) {
>>     int m = b * 3 / 6;
>>        if (m < 0)
>>          die();
>>      }
>>    }
>> }
>>
>> Deleting such unreachable code happens all the time.  IMO we should
>> not disable this optimization.
>
> This is very different from the printf example.  The call to die is
> unreachable according to the standard semantics.  The original printf
> call is reachable, and according to my interpretation, the
> transformation shown above is invalid because the abstract machine
> performs the side effect from the printf before undefined behavior is
> reached.

Here it is again:

int foo(int x) {
	if (x > 1290) {
		printf("X is wrong here %d, but we don't care\n", x);
	}
	return x*x*x;

Here, the printf writes to a stream then the UB happens.  But the
stream is buffered and the UB kills the process before the stream is
flushed.  There is nothing in the C specification to prevent this, and
neither should there be.  I don't think it's even possible.

>>> I'm worried that this particular line of argument would also allow the
>>> movement of undefined behavior which occurs after an infinite loop in
>>> front of it, even if this loop performs I/O.
>>
>> Sure.  But it can already do that even if the compiler does not move
>> anything.  The I/O writes to a stream, the UB causes a segfault which
>> kills a process, the stream never gets written.
>
> Based on my C semantics, the UB is never reached because the loop never
> exits.

a.  You have your own C semantics?
b.  Which loop?  You need to let us look at it.

I don't think that there is a program which will exhibit such
behaviour.

> I just think that C semantics which only deal with terminating programs,
> Turing-machine-style, are not very useful for the programs we generally
> write.

This is an incomprehensible statement.  At leas, I don't know what it
means.

Andrew.