Re: Optimisations and undefined behaviour

On 11/09/2015 03:08 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 12:09 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

>> I'm not sure if this is a valid transformation for printf, even if
>> targets stdout and does not use any custom format specifiers.  Isn't it
>> a cancellation point?  But let's assume it's not.
>>
>>> Yes, that is correct.  And, indeed, the hardware is free to do taht
>>> too.  With speculative execution, the "as if" rule is not limited to
>>> the compiler.
>>
>> Can we disallow that optimization as a quality-of-implementation matter?
>>  What would be the benefit of such optimizations, other than
>> discouraging programmers from using C or C++?
>
> There isn't really any way to distinguish between wanted optimizations
> and unwanted ones.

Of course there is—you define the semantics you want, and then any
optimization which breaks them is a bug.

> If GCC determines that a statement is unreachable
> it can be deleted, and this depends on its knowledge of UB.  Like this:
>
> void foo(int b) {
>   if (b > 0) {
>     int m = b * 3 / 6;
>        if (m < 0)
>          die();
>      }
>    }
> }
>
> Deleting such unreachable code happens all the time.  IMO we should
> not disable this optimization.

This is very different from the printf example.  The call to die is
unreachable according to the standard semantics.  The original printf
call is reachable, and according to my interpretation, the
transformation shown above is invalid because the abstract machine
performs the side effect from the printf before undefined behavior is
reached.

>> I'm worried that this particular line of argument would also allow the
>> movement of undefined behavior which occurs after an infinite loop in
>> front of it, even if this loop performs I/O.
>
> Sure.  But it can already do that even if the compiler does not move
> anything.  The I/O writes to a stream, the UB causes a segfault which
> kills a process, the stream never gets written.

Based on my C semantics, the UB is never reached because the loop never
exits.

I just think that C semantics which only deal with terminating programs,
Turing-machine-style, are not very useful for the programs we generally
write.

Florian