Re: gcc Export Control ECCN number if covered under EAR

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also, GCC's (or even OpenSSL or Crypto++) requirements are easier than
> commodity products using them. The only action projects like GCC,
> OpenSSL and Crypto++ have to do is send an email to the Encryption
> Coordinator (the email address and the Ft. Meade, MD mailing address
> is the NSA, btw).

Yes: since GCC is free software (which for legal purposes can be
treated as open source software) my understanding is that no actual
ECCN number is required.

It's certainly true that GCC contains cryptographic software, it just
doesn't matter for this purpose.

Ian