How to use C style directives in assembler ?

I'm reading u-boot sourc code recently. I found it uses C style directives
(#define #ifdef  and etc.)in assemble files. But  the assembler only
recognize directives like .ifdef .define by default.  I guess there is some
command line options of the assembler to make it recognize C style
directives instead of the default one. It will be appreciate if some one
could tell me how to deal with this issue.