Re: std::function and shared object libraries

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 14:06 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 16 June 2015 at 13:43, Nick wrote:
> > By "disappears" I assume you mean the contents of the space are gone,
> > not that the actual address space is removed, correct?
>
> I don't understand the distinction. What does "the actual address
> space is removed" mean?

By "removed" I get the impression that it's somehow literally gone.  For
example, a 4GB address space is now 3GB.  The address space is still
there, it just contains undefined content which naturally will lead to
undefined behavior if accessed.

> >  So in the case
> > of the OP, that would amount to allocated objects (ex. function
> > template)
>
> Template instantiations are not allocated. They are code, not data.

Right, in the case of a basic C++ function template.  From the OP I was
thinking about something like std::function which I'd expect (though I
didn't look at the implementation) has some data along with it.

> > as well as code from the shared object are potentially wiped
> > (but certainly invalid regardless) and therefore any access to them is
> > undefined.
> >
> > If that's all correct, and if the shared object and the main app are
> > using the same memory manager, then in the OP, isn't the function
> > template still around in memory (assuming it was allocated by the app's
> > mem mgr)?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "function template". Do you mean the
> variable of type "std::function<void()>"? That is not a template, it's
> an object. It's still around.

Right.

> >  And so the problem is that the shared object's *code* is gone
> > and so the std::function dtor segfaults because it's trying to execute
> > code that's no longer in the address space?
>
> Correct.
>
> It's trying to execute an instantiation of a function template (in the
> basic C++ sense of the term, not the "std::function" sense, which
> coincidentally has the same name). That instantiation is a piece of
> code defined in the shared library. When the shared library is
> unloaded the code cannot be called. It's address no longer points to
> anything in the process' address space.

Very helpful, thank you.