Re: C++ name mangling in C

>>>BTW, I realized that there may be an easier way to do such validation in GCC
>>>- write information about each function prototype (found where function is
>>>implemented) and each function call to object files (e.g. as debug data or
>>>in other format), and use it to perform validation in linker. What do you
>>>think about this?
>>
>>That sounds more realistic (and would be useful to people using C, not
>>your suggested C-with-mangling) but I it's still many weeks of work by
>>many people, so you don't have to spend a month fixing your code. Even
>>if it happened, it wouldn't be available in released versions of GCC
>>and the linker for months, so it is not going to help you find "some
>>temporary solution to use now".
>
>I know that you have to stick with your release plans, so this is not
>something to expect soon. I understand this. What I am looking for are
>things which I could use now; I thought there may be something in gcc
>already to help me with my work now, so I asked here.
>
>I also look for long term solutions which could be helpful for me and
>for others, so I asked more questions. Sorry if I annoyed you.
>
>Thank you for your answer. I will wait for some more feedback on my
>last proposal about adding and using this extra info, and log and
>enhancement.

Maybe you could get more results by using a static code analyzer
which does basically the same as the compiler (without actually
compiling) e.g. print a lot of errors and warnings that might show
you the problematic places in the code. We've found pclint very
helpful but of course there are also other programs.

bye  Fabi