Re: Building gcc-4.8.3 on ppc64

On 06/05/14, Jeff Preshing  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed Debian Linux 7.5 (wheezy) on a Power Mac G5, which uses a PowerPC64 kernel.

I mya have the exact same type of setup here :

root@venus:~# uname -a
Linux venus 3.2.0-4-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u1 ppc64 GNU/Linux

root@venus:~# cat /etc/debian_version
7.5

root@venus:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock : 2500.000000MHz
revision : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

processor : 1
cpu : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock : 2500.000000MHz
revision : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

processor : 2
cpu : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock : 2500.000000MHz
revision : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

processor : 3
cpu : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock : 2500.000000MHz
revision : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

timebase : 33333333
platform : PowerMac
model : PowerMac11,2
machine : PowerMac11,2
motherboard : PowerMac11,2 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as : 337 (PowerMac G5 Dual Core)
pmac flags : 00000000
L2 cache : 1024K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

> I installed gcc and g++ using aptitude, which gives me gcc 4.6.3. Next, I would like to get a working g++ 4.8.3 compiler, to use some C++11 features.

OKay, I am doing the same thing for different reasons. I am working through the requirements and building most from source into /usr/local. Generally I build the whole set of tools needed and then do GCC last.

> So I downloaded and extracted the sources from gcc-4.8.3.tar.bz2, and am trying to follow the directions at: https://gcc.gnu.org/install/index.html
>
> In trying to get it working, I've also installed these packages using aptitude:
>
> make
> linux-headers-3.2.0.4-all
> gcc-multilib

<wild stuff snipped>

> I understand that gcc tries to perform a three-stage bootstrap. In my case, it's failing in stage2. I also see that there are conflicting declarations between my system headers in /usr/include and the headers in the gcc source package itself. But I don't know how to resolve them, or whether the compiler should be grabbing headers from both places in the first place.
>
> Does anyone have some tips on how to investigate further?

Listen, I don't know what is causing that problem, yet. However I am probably going to run into the same things as you. I will let you know what I see. Thus far I have just built a few basics like GNU make, libiconv, GNU gettext, libsigsegv, GNU m4, autoconf and automake, bison, then the usual gmp, mpfr and mpc. I often wonder why the requirements say gmp 4.3.2 ( or later ) when the current stable release is 5.1.3. A lot has happened since 4.3.2 :

https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-announce/2010-January/000025.html

Regardless, I have the latest built and tested.

I do have a question for you fellow ppc user. Does your PowerMac G5 decide to go into some weird power mode with the fans going nuts and then it is non-responsive? If I turn the monitor off for the ppc PowerMac G5 then it goes just bonkers after a few hours and with the fans screaming. If I leave the monitor connected and powered on, which I do not need, it seems fine. Weirdest behavior I have ever seen. Ever heard of it ?

Dennis