Re: mlock in cache

On 08/02/2013 06:06 PM, Christos Tsopokis wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> And why do you think that there must be a way to achieve it?  If it
>> exists, it's in that manual.
>
> Well, it's obviously more complicated than that. When I refer to APIs, I
> refer even to the information the manufacturers provide.

Indeed, that's what that manual I provided is.

> None of them provides details apart from some rudimentary
> information on cache organization. On the contrary, if you see the
> other link I sent before, then it's obvious that some old arm
> processors were designed to be tuned on these things.

Maybe they were, although I doubt it, but I presume you're asking about
contemporary Intel processors.

Again, I don't believe that what you seek exists, and I can think
of good reasons why it doesn't.

> Yes but I said, I doubt that prefetching works as a force on the
> cpu. I guess it can be like a suggestion directive.

No, I don't think so.  When you do a prefetch, data really do get
fetched into the cache.  They stay there until that line is needed for
something else.

Andrew.