Re: GCC 4.8.1 building fails

On 15 June 2013 09:44, Ignas wrote:
> I uninstalled MinGW and installed it again with all the latest stuff.
> I tried to compile gcc 2 more times, without any luck. I defined
> constants with paths to MinGW's include and lib folder, I tried to use
> configure closely resembling the one used to compile gcc what came
> with MinGW:
> configure --disable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-shared --enable-libgomp
> --disable-win32-registry --enable-lib-stdcxx-debug
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --build=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw
> It always fails when it gets to a part of making things inside a build
> folder, previously it was [objdir]/i686-pc-mingw32, this time it was
> [objdir]/mingw32. Second time, I've tried to compile with binutils
> source inside [srcdir].
>

> Based on all that, I conclude, that it is a bug with gcc in area
> related to Windows, MinGW, or compiling itself.
> As I've said in my first email, gcc configures and makes all
> libraries(gmp, mpfr, mpc, etc.) successfully, I've checked
> [objdir]/[library name], they have .a, .o, etc. sometimes .exe and
> .dll files, indicating what my MinGW installation is working fine, I'm
> pretty sure it would have never compiled all that successfully if it
> was broken. I've also checked [objdir]/gcc , it was also compiled
> successfully.
> Problem always starts somewhere when it tries to make the
> [objdir]/[build folder], it appears to me, that at this point, gcc is
> using its own compiled binaries to compile further, and that's when it
> crashes.

When I tried to build MinGW the only way I could make it work was
using an "identity mount", I don't know why that's necessary. The
whole experience of trying to build MinGW was extremely annoying and
painful.  Quoting from
http://mingw-users.1079350.n2.nabble.com/How-to-build-GCC-on-MinGW-MSYS-td5868612.html:

These days, I make a point of building GCC in "identity" mounts, where
the Unixy path ("/mingw") directly corresponds to the underlying Windows
path ("C:\mingw"). This shouldn't be strictly necessary, but I suspect
there are some gotchas that can be avoided that way. To change your
/mingw to an identity mount, move E:\Temp\mingw\msys\1.0\mingw to
E:\mingw, and edit your E:\Temp\mingw\msys\1.0\etc\fstab accordingly.