Re: Low level file access

The idea of reading from the file with several threads was because I thought
that one thread might not be able to keep up with the demands of several
(several i.e. an amount dependent on the amount of CPU cores.)
Yes it may not be specifically about how to use GCC but GCC is what I'm
using and I'm not, at least at present, intending to try for cross platform
compatibility, therefore my options on how to go about reading the file are
determined by the functions available from GCC so I though it a more GCC
type question.
Yes, I know, it's a lot for a beginner to C to be concerned with, but when
you have a great idea and implement a prototype with python3 and it works
(though rather limitedly)... it's one of those "I must learn to program this
really cool thing myself." situations (and to achieve the necessary speed
you need it in C.)
When I said "How do I write part of an int into my file" I meant that the
binary data is much smaller then text data and that I would need to write
into the file some numbers smaller than an int or even possibly a short int
and it would waste space to have thee unused bytes out of every four.
But let's back up a second I'm getting ahead of myself. First I might say
that I am assuming that when writing in binary mode I am sending the write
function ints or similar and it's writing out 1s and 0s to the file
corresponding to the value of the int (or similar.) The same goes for
calling the read function which returns x amount of bytes in an int (or
similar,) into which is stored a number not 1s and 0s. Of course I can work
with 1s and 0s if that is what it gives me but I didn't think it would
(despite the fact that I've read hundreds of pages of how to program in C
the endianness nor the output of low level reading of binary files has been
discussed -- at all.)